The tiny home movement has captured the imagination of many people over the past few years. But how do tiny homes really compare to park model RVs?
According to the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA), “Park model RVs are actually titled and registered just like any other RV. Due to their design, small size, and use as recreation, vacation, and seasonal units, park model RVs are explicitly excluded from being considered or used as a manufactured home under the codes and regulations of the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD), specifically because they are a type of recreation vehicle (Title 24 § 3282.8(g)).” That means that park model RVs have certain tax and use benefits that tiny homes do not.
We would add that park model RVs are a much better choice than tiny homes for a variety of other reasons, such as:
- Park model RVs are typically larger than tiny homes, but usually no more than 12′ wide and up to 400 square feet.
- Tiny homes aren’t actually homes. Some are built to the code requirements for travel trailers, if they’re built to any codes at all.
- Park model RVs can be housed on private rural property in most states, as well as in most RV parks and resorts around the country. But many parks and resorts won’t accept tiny homes because there’s no set standard for quality and safety.
- Park model RVs are generally easier to finance and insure than tiny homes.
- Park Model RVs usually offer full-sized amenities, such as kitchen appliances, sinks, showers, bathtubs, etc., so you don’t have to compromise on essential comforts as you might have to with a tiny home.
- Some RV parks and campgrounds require park model RVs to be built by certified manufacturers.
- Park models RVs are generally less expensive and less difficult to move.
Are there any advantages to a tiny home? Not many. However, a tiny home may be more appealing to you if you know you will never want to relocate or want an unusual or highly customized interior or exterior.
Please feel free to e-mail us or call us at 903-530-2488 if you have any questions or need more information about Roadrunner Acres RV Ranch. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you as one of our new residents soon!